Mani Bhavan Sangrahalaya - Mumbai
Are you a business owner in Mumbai?
Promote your business 365 days a year with the #1 Guide to Mumbai.
- Gain MAXIMUM EXPOSURE with a 'Dedicated Business Profile'
Directions to Mani Bhavan Sangrahalaya
The Mani Bhavan Sangrahalaya is a quaint Gujarati-style, two storied house on Laburnum Road, Mumbai where Gandhiji lived from 1917 to 1934. It is now converted into a museum and research centre.
The struggle for independence saw Mumbai play a very important role. The father of the nation Mahatma Gandhi spent many years in the city, guiding the struggle for freedom from Mani Bhawan, a place which was his headquarters for about 17 eventful years beginning from 1917-1934. The place belonged to Shri Revashankar Jagjeevan Jhaveri, who was a close friend of Gandhi's and a host during that period. During his stay at Mani Bhavan Gandhiji initiated many agitations like the Civil Disobedience, Satyagraha, Swadeshi, Khadi and Khilafat movements. In 1955 the building was dedicated as a memorial to Gandhiji in remembrance of the many struggles that were initiated from this place.
Visitors from all over the world come to Mani Bhavan, to see the room that Gandhiji occupied, its Picture Gallery, the Library Hall and the Terrace where he was arrested on 4, January 1932. To the younger generation, it will give an idea of the dynamism of the great Mahatma even while he was shaping himself and the nation, along the uncharted path of non-violent resistance to foreign rule and to all evil.
The Museum offers:
1) A Library consists of around 50,000 books & periodicals in reference and lending sections.
2) The Auditorium on the first floor where films on Gandhiji are shown from time to time and recordings of his speeches are played on request.
3) The room on the second floor which used to be the living room and working place of Gandhiji (preserved as far as possible in its original setting).
4) Adjoining Gandhiji's room is the exhibition depicting Gandhiji's life through mini figures in about twenty-eight tableaux, prepared by Smt. Sushila Gokhale-Patel.
5) A Picture Gallery which gives glimpses of Gandhiji in Mani Bhavan and important events in his life. It displays photographic posters depicting important events and Photostats of some significant letters, articles and documents written by and about Gandhiji with appropriate captions in Hindi and English.
6) A bronze plaque with an inscription now marks the place of the tent in which Gandhiji was arrested in January, 1932. He used to sleep and hold his prayers on this terrace.
7) Mani Bhavan is recognised as a Research Institute preparing students for Ph.D. degree in Gandhian Thought and Rural Development by University of Bombay.
8) At the sales counter in the entrance hall, Gandhi Postage Stamps, Photographs, Gandhian Literature, Statues and Medallions etc are sold.
The Museum is open on all the days of the week from 9:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
You may also like
3 -Day Tour with Bollywood Studio Visit
This tour is perfect for those who want to take the time to explore Mumbai completely. We will take you to the sightseeing spots, markets, Elephanta caves, Dharavi slum — and of course, visit a Bollywood studio.
Bhau Daji Lad MuseumSouth-Mumbai, Mumbai
Named as Victoria & Albert Museum in 1872, the “Bhau Daji Lad Museum” is the oldest museum in Mumbai, India.............
Kanheri Cave Half–Day Tour
Explore Kanheri caves to see Buddhist sculptures and relief carvings, paintings and inscriptions, dating from the 1st century B.C.From ₹2,132.00
Mumbai Street Food Tour
Eat your way through Mumbai's outstanding food scene. Rest assured that all street food vendors are not only hygienic but also delicious: tantalising to the taste buds anFrom ₹1,848.00
Mahim FortSouth-Mumbai, Mumbai
The Mahim Fort is an ancient fort, which is strategically located in Mumbai. It lies off the Mahim causeway, which links the suburbs to the city. Mahim Bay is an importa
Takmak FortSouth-Mumbai, Mumbai
Takmak Fort is about fifteen miles from south-east of Mahim, stands on a very steep hill about 2000 feet high, in a rough wooded country, a little to the north-east of th
Joseph Baptista GardenSouth-Mumbai, Mumbai
The Joseph Baptista Park is situated in the Mazagaon Hill .This garden has a historical value and is dedicated to a freedom fighter Joseph Baptista, lovingly called ‘Ka
From Half-Day Shore Excursion
On this 4-hour tour, see and discover many unusual facets of the city on this culturally immersive Mumbai tour. Don’t wait, book this tour now and let this tour truly m2 ReviewsFrom ₹2,558.40
Walkeshwar TempleSouth-Mumbai, Mumbai
The Walkeshwar Temple is among the most ancient temples of Hindu God Shiva, which is located in Mumbai. It is situated on Malabar Hill next to the Banganga Tank. The temp
- Best Seller
Mumbai City Tour with Ferry Ride and Dharavi Slum
This private tour combines the classic attractions of the city of Mumbai, along with a 2-hour walk in the famous Dharavi slums, all in one day. See the famous Marine Driv17 ReviewsFrom ₹4,974.00