Mumbai: Kanheri Cave Half–Day Tour4 Reviews
Explore Kanheri caves to see Buddhist sculptures and relief carvings, paintings and inscriptions, dating from the 1st century B.C. Benefit from a hotel transfer and local English-speaking guide as you learn about Buddhist history.
- Explore Buddhist sculptures and relief carvings, paintings and inscriptions
- Walk through the historical timeline of Buddhism
- Visit Kanheri caves for an insight into the history and culture of Buddhist monks in India
DescriptionStart your private tour with pick–up from your accommodation in Mumbai, head to the Kanheri Caves, located deep within the green forests of Sanjay Ghandi National Park, one of Asia’s major national parks. The caves are a marvellous architectural feat. All 109 of them were chiseled and carved out of a huge basaltic rock outcrop. The smaller caves, known as viharas, served as resting places for the monks. The larger caves, known as chaityas, are lined with various exquisitely carved Buddhist sculptures and were commonly used as places for worship. Depending on your hotel location and the traffic conditions, the drive to Kanheri Caves takes about 1 to 1.5-hours. Relax in a comfortable air-conditioned car till you are dropped off at the Sanjay Gandhi National Park, where the caves are situated. Your guide will take you around five of the biggest and most significant caves. You will also have some free time to explore and walk around on your own. In the main hall stands the towering figure of the Lord Buddha measuring about 7 meters in height. The interior has a colonnade of 34 majestically carved pillars. The eleven-headed Avalokiteshwara is the most distinctive motif. There are about 100 inscriptions in different scripts - Brahmi, Devnagri, Pallavi and Sanskrit. At the end of your tour, head back to your accommodation in Mumbai with excellent memories of the day.
IncludesEntrance fees to all site attractions Local English-speaking guide Hotel pick–up and drop off Transport by air–conditioned vehicle Car Parking Entry fee to Sanjay Gandhi National Park (no sightseeing here, only entrance) Gratuities (optional)
- Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair; comfortable walking shoes are recommended
- Guests are requested to wear modest clothing as this site is of spiritual and religious significance. Please avoid wearing sleeveless tops and short shorts
- This tours runs all year. During the rainy season, guests are recommended to carry raincoats/ umbrellas and wear comfortable walking shoes with a firm grip to avoid slippery surfaces
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Book an Experience
Reserve your experience nowCheck Availability