Elephanta Caves: Private Half-Day Tour from Mumbai16 Reviews
Hop on to the ferry to Elephanta Island to explore over 1,500 years of history. Explore the UNESCO World Heritage site with an experienced guide. Learn about Hindu and Buddhist practices as you gaze upon stunning statues of deities.
- Marvel at the intricate carvings of the Elephanta Caves
- Learn about Hindu gods and culture from an expert local guide
- Enjoy the personal attention of a private guide
DescriptionTo start off your tour of Elephanta island, choose a pickup time that fits your schedule, though it’s best to get an early morning start. Take a beautiful, hour-long ferry ride across the bay from Mumbai to Elephanta Island, and begin your exploration of a labyrinth of caves, temples, and shrines with your own private guide. An elaborate system of man-made caves cut directly into solid basaltic mountains, the Elephanta Caves were used as sacred places of Hindu and Buddhist worship starting in the 5th to 7th century. Amble through the vast columns and arched colonnades, gazing at elaborately carved sacred shrines to deities. The main cave, otherwise known as the Shiva Cave, contains numerous carvings depicting various aspects of Lord Shiva including his wedding, his slaying of Andhaka, and more. The most significant sculpture in the cave is the 20-foot-tall, three-headed Shiva, known as the Trimurti. Other wings of the caves have shrines dedicated to Shiva’s sons, Kartikeya and Ganesh, with similarly spectacular carved statues. All the while, enjoy insightful commentary from a local guide, expert in the history of the Elephanta Caves, as well as Hinduism and Buddhism as a whole. After touring the magnificent island, you will be ferried back to the harbor. From there, your driver will drop you back at your hotel, marking the end of a memorable tour through over 1,500 years of history.
IncludesTour guide Hotel pickup and drop-off Entrance tickets Ferry tickets Train tickets Meals and drinks Souvenirs
- The caves are closed to visitors every Monday.
- In case of high tides and high rainfall, the ferry may not operate and the activity may be cancelled. When possible, the tour operator will communicate this in advance or the activity may be rescheduled.
- Appropriate clothing is required for entry, including no sleeveless shirts.
- Videography is not permitted on the island.
- Wheelchair hire is available on-site, with an extra charge to be paid directly at the counter.
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Book an Experience
Reserve your experience nowCheck Availability