My Guide Website?
Dharavi Walking Tour with Options3 Reviews
Experience Asia's largest slum in a personal and responsible way. Participate in a private walking tour for yourself or your own group, and engage with locals in a respectful way to learn more about the realities of India's slums.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Mumbai:If youʻre booking your trip to Mumbai last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Observe the various businesses that flourish here, including recycling, food production, and leather
- Participate in an award-winning activity that is non-intrusive and educational
- Benefit from hotel pickup and drop-off
- Choose from additional options to gain deeper understanding of the community
DescriptionEngage in an award-winning ethical tour through the slums of Dharavi. With an annual turnover of approximately $665 million, Asia's largest slum is home to more than one million people. Book a private walking tour with a convenient hotel pickup and drop-off facility. The first portion of the tour is by car as way we make our way north from Colaba to Dharavi. On the way you’ll receive some information on the history of Mumbai. As we drive past the historical textile mill area, for example, we’ll learn about this once crucial Mumbai industry and how it helped make the city what it is today. We’ll also discuss some of the city’s ongoing social issues as we pass by areas like the red light area of Kamathipura. This added information will help you better understand the historical and social context of Dharavi. We’ll also stop off at Dhobi Ghat, the largest open air laundry in the world. Your friendly local guide will help you navigate the narrow maze-like alleys of Dharavi as they recount the stories of entrepreneurship and community that define its inhabitants. Profits from this tour are re-invested in community initiatives such as education, skills development, and healthcare projects. The guide takes great care to ensure the walking tour is non-intrusive to local residents and safe for visitors. The area is home to more to more than 20,000 businesses. Observe recycling, pottery-making, embroidery, bakery, soap making, leather tanning, poppadom-making among other ways of living is done here. Climb on a rooftop to get a view of the entire settlement. Navigate through the maze-like alleys and stop to talk to friendly locals. The tour will also visit the residential areas of Dharavi. People from all over India have come to live in Dharavi, making it a microcosm of India. This diversity is apparent in the temples, mosques, churches, and pagodas that stand side by side. This private tour is ideal if you want a more personal interaction with your guide and the locals.
IncludesLocal English Speaking Guide Water / Cold Drink
- • Please wear modest clothing, no low-cut or sleeveless tops or short shorts are allowed • Guests are recommended to wear comfortable closed-toe walking shoes as some areas can be dirty, especially during the monsoon months from June to mid September • This is a private activity and can be booked for up to 4 people in a single booking • This tour is not recommended for people with limited mobility. • This tour has a strict no-photography policy to respect the privacy of local residents